Password Retrieval

Type your email address in the field above and your password will be emailed to you shortly.

  
  

Assembled

by Ivan Sentch 7. August 2017 07:53

I've finished assembling the body (see below), next I'll make some fibreglass resin "peanut butter" to fill in the cracks (mix resin with chopped fibreglass and some other structural thickener) then I'm thinking painting the exterior in a thinner version of this ("mayonnaise"?) to add a bit of strength to it along with fiberglassing the inside edges to stop them flexing too much when I sand.

After this I'll add a few layers of something easily sandable (gelcoat or Duratec EZ Sanding Primer or something similar) then begin sanding

Just a side note, I've been using (a lot of) Tamiya ABS "glue" to stick these parts together - it's pretty good, it dissolves the surface of the abs and when it dries the two are welded together (so not actually glued) and this bond is stronger than the parts themselves.

However, I found supplies of this waning locally and stumbled on a 3D printing recipe: 50ml acetone with 3 meters of the 1.75mm 3D printer filament I had left over. Leave this in a (sealed) jar for about 24 hours and you have the best abs glue, far better than the Tamiya stuff - the bond is the same (as it's still welded abs) it dries in about 5min and I've even painted it on the surface of the 3D printer (I had a few missing pieces I had to re-print) which sticks the parts down really well (much better than the hairspray method I was using before - wish I would have stumbled on this sooner) but I would caution it's use for normal 3D objects - these were really really stuck down, they came off for me because they are only 5mm wide, if you had a bigger surface area you would not get them off

Tags:

Body | 3D Printing

Printer back online

by Ivan Sentch 10. August 2013 13:48

The printer extruder got blocked a couple of weeks ago but while trying to unblock it I broke it and had to order a new part, the new parts have arrived and it's back online, printing has resumed!!! 46 days of rapid printing left before I need to relocate, that should be enough to finish the body and 30% of the dash

On the assembly front nothing has been done, with the house and the media coverage lately I've had no time, but I'm back into it now so if I'm a bit tardy replying to you it's because I'm trying to get some traction (I will eventually you'll just need to wait a bit)

For those coming in from the yahoo article, I'm not putting a bmw v12 in this (that's going in the 250 GTO I built a few years ago) also I'm printing a plug not the body of the actual car, also also once I've finished I still have about 5 years before I'm actually done (yahoo got it a bit wrong)

Tags:

Body | 3D Printing

72% printed but...

by Ivan Sentch 26. July 2013 12:48

72% printed but I've been preparing my house for sale so I've not had any time to assemble anything (so no new pics sorry)

The house is sold though (it was only on the market for 1 day before we got a pre-auction offer, after having spent weeks preparing it). New Zealand property market is really booming at the moment

But this does mean I've only got <2 months left before I have to move out so <2 months of printing at the rate I have been printing at so far, after that it'll be at a slower pace or on hold until the new place is built

Unfortunately title for the section (top right 1/4 of the image below) is looking like it won't be ready until March and another 6 months of building after that so if it does have to go on hold until I finish it's going to be a while

Also my hot end has blocked and in trying to clear it I've broken a bit of it so I need to wait for a new part to arrive before I can continue

Tags:

Body

45% printed, 35% assembled

by Ivan Sentch 3. June 2013 16:58

I haven't done a post for a while so here's an update, 45% printed, 35% assembled

Tags:

Body

25% printed, 20% assembled

by Ivan Sentch 3. May 2013 19:43

It may not look it but the body is 20% assembled with another 5% printed waiting to go. 

I also noticed on the 3D printer Y axis pulley bracket that the pulley axel has been acting as a reamer tool and I now have a big groove which was very near to coming out the end. So I downloaded this and printed a replacement part (printing replacement parts, that's pretty cool):

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36446

 

Tags:

Body | 3D Printing