Password Retrieval

Type your email address in the field above and your password will be emailed to you shortly.

60% printed 52% assembled

by Ivan Sentch 26. June 2013 12:30

60% printed 52% assembled, had another printer issue though, same symptoms as before where it started coming up with cold extrusion prevented so I didn't even bother diagnosing it, just changed the wires in the loom and it's back up and running.

Tags:

Body | 3D Printing

Comments (23) -

James
JamesUnited States
26/06/2013 1:29:55 p.m. #

I check back here at least twice a day, awaiting updates, kudos!

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
26/06/2013 7:42:11 p.m. #

Thanks, progress is a bit staggered. It's too disruptive to try and assemble an area until it's all printed. Once it's all printed I'll sand and assemble it in a couple of weeks (while the next area is printing) but it works out to about a 3 to 4 week stepped progress (i.e. there's no change right up to the last week where an entire area is then put together)

James
JamesUnited States
27/06/2013 8:51:54 a.m. #

Now, I don't recall, but do you plan on creating a cast of each body part with fiberglass or how do you plan to do this?

If you make a cast of the body, then use the molds to create fiberglass parts, you could probably recoup all of your cost & make a lot of people happy, maybe even turn a tidy profit.

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
29/06/2013 8:12:15 p.m. #

I'm using this as a plug for a mold, I wasn't planning on but a few people had expressed interest in a cast so I'll do these when they come up

Robert
RobertJapan
31/07/2013 4:42:18 p.m. #

Wow, scratch built replica Aston Martin DB4 !!
I've never seen such this kind of "big project ". (^_^;
Wonderful work!!
By the way, how many filaments are you planning to use to finish your projects?
I hope that your project succeeds.

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
31/07/2013 7:33:07 p.m. #

1kg reels do 0.26m2 and I've got 18.4m2 to print so 70x reels, I had originally calculated 64x but I've added a dash to the print list since then

Robert
RobertJapan
1/08/2013 5:38:10 a.m. #

Thank you for your reply.
Oh, 70 reels of the filaments will be use for a car.
Ivan, May I introduce your blog in Japan?
Your project is very interesting.

Nils Hitze
Nils HitzeGermany
31/07/2013 10:12:31 p.m. #

You Sir, are my 3DPrinting Hero of the Month. Amazing Job so far. Go for the crown. And if you ever have questions, let us know: bit.ly/gplus3dp

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
1/08/2013 7:00:31 a.m. #

Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can add a links page to my site

Don
DonSri Lanka
1/08/2013 6:51:10 a.m. #

Ivan, this is some incredible work. I am amazed at the detail and effort one must put in for a project of this scale. I was wondering (forgive my ignorance, as I am no physicist nor engineer) but would it be possible to be build a fully functioning model from a 3D printer? Where everything just works like a normal kit car, from the engine to the headlights to the stereo and gearbox?

Peace, respect

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
1/08/2013 7:04:44 a.m. #

Not with plastic, there has been research into 3d printing other materials  (i.e. copper for 3d printing electronics ) but the forces involved in road use / combustion engine are far beyond plastic, even just printing the body would be too weak (at least how I'm doing it)

Don
DonSri Lanka
1/08/2013 6:52:48 a.m. #

EDIT: * I was wondering (forgive my ignorance, as I am no physicist nor engineer) whether it would be possible to build a fully functioning model from a 3D printer?

Esteban
EstebanUnited States
1/08/2013 11:37:07 a.m. #

This gives  me hope to one day own a classic that is for the most part completely out of reach for the average auto enthusiast who would ACTUALLY DRIVE IT.  I hope it spawns  a whole new industry for  exotic cars. Im kind of tired of cobras 32 fords and fake lambos.

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
2/08/2013 8:57:47 a.m. #

Yeah nearly went down the kit car path again before I decided no, I'm going to do something different this time

3689安全导航
3689安全导航People's Republic of China
3/08/2013 3:23:23 p.m. #

我去年买了登山包,超耐磨!www.3689.in

Ivan
IvanNew Zealand
4/08/2013 9:55:58 a.m. #

Uh no I'm fine for mountaineering bags at this time thanks (did I read that right?)

stanza
stanza
12/08/2013 9:16:23 p.m. #

how did you split it

Ivan
Ivan
13/08/2013 6:27:41 a.m. #

I've had a few people ask this, I'll do a post on it soon

charly
charly
31/08/2013 11:25:01 p.m. #

legend man!! i like to see your car when is finish !!

nick
nick
2/09/2013 11:12:22 p.m. #

awesome !!!

which software did you use for the render of the db4 in the background of your blog.

I am realy interested how the db4 project develops !

regards nick

Ivan
Ivan
3/09/2013 5:52:26 a.m. #

Thanks, that's actually a real one I pinched from somewhere, this is the model I used rendered with vray: www.turbosquid.com/.../1

nick
nick
3/09/2013 6:58:18 a.m. #

As automotive enthusiast and automation machine engineer i am interested to build
something larger than the vx4000  ...          http://goo.gl/WnDVh

... but thats a long way

your db4 project is really  impressive .

toan
toan
6/09/2013 5:56:02 a.m. #

Hi. I'm from vietnam. And i very like a model l29 cord www.thetruthaboutcars.com/.../.have you got draw desigh share me and how to take this car thanks for all

biuquote